December 8, 2008

Are You Sure I'm Not Dying?

Nine days before Thanksgiving I started getting sick with the flu and my friend Aimee stopped by to bring me some soup. I was standing on my front steps, in my bare feet with no coat, talking to her, when suddenly there was a click and we soon discovered that Kambree had locked me out of the house! By the time Burt got home I had been standing out in the cold, again bare foot, and already sick, for 38 minutes! Luckily Kambree stayed at the window the entire time asking me to let her out. Oh, and in case you were worried? I was holding Brynlee. As time went on, I got sicker and sicker and sicker. Fevers, chills and the most painful body aches I have ever experienced. I finally couldn't take it anymore and Burt took me to the hospital. The ride there was absolute torture. It seemed like I was in the car for 10 hours and sitting in the waiting room was even worse. I truly thought I was dying! I'm not kidding! My body ached and my bones throbbed and I was convinced that I had bone cancer and was dying. Burt laughed and laughed and thought I was so funny, but I wasn't laughing! When I started crying he took me serious and reassured me that I wasn't dying, but I didn't believe him, after all, he's not a doctor! It turns out that I had "Stage 4 strep throat" and they sent me home with 3 or 4 prescriptions.
This is me in the waiting room thinking I'm dying.

After what seemed like another 10 hour car ride, Burt finally got me home and into bed. I was still convinced that I was dying and begged Burt to bring me my kids. Makenzee was at school and Kambree was napping so he brought me sweet little Bryn.

I was home in bed hooked up to an IV because I was so dehydrated. They pumped a "super strong" antibiotic through it and some kind of pain reliever that pretty much knocked me out.

Burt got to play doctor and remove the IV when the bag was empty. Since I was completely out of it, I can't tell you if he caused me more pain or not!

For two days, I was convinced that I had bone cancer and was dying. I had never, ever been this sick and I knew that it was more than stage 4 strep throat! I laid on my death bed for 5 more days and then went to the doctor again. After a scan at the hospital we learned that I had pneumonia in my right lung. I told you I was sick and I'm still convinced that I was near death! A hundred years ago or maybe even 50, I'd be dead for sure! I go back to the doctor in two and a half weeks to have a chest x-ray to make sure my lung is clear. It's been a long and horrible two weeks, but I am finally better! Next year, I'm for sure getting a flu shot!

6 comments:

Spencer Reeve said...

Canesa! That is terrible! I had no idea you were so sick, I have never had strep throat or pneumonia (knock on wood) but it sure sounds miserable, hope all is well now :)

Keely said...

Oh Canesa...I'm so sorry you were so sick! That's awful! Strep throat can be brutal...let alone stage 4!!
I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of the holidays...healthy!!

P.S. I LOVE your new background!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how sick you got! I hope you are feeling better, I'm guessing you are since I saw you at church on Sunday. That must have been so painful, you poor thing!

The Crump Girls said...

Holly cow, Canesa!! When you get sick, you REALLY get sick!! You probably were on your death bed!! I can remember a time LONG, LONG ago when a certain Canesa got really sick on Halloween. Of course, she decided she wasn't too sick to go to a Halloween party with me. Of course, the people at the party had all of the sympathy for her. I wasn't so lucky. I got "egged" because I wasn't dressed up in a costume. Do you remember that?!! I know I will never forget it!! HAHAHA I hope this wonderful story from your past has cheered you up. Please get feeling better. We get the flu shot every year even though my oldest runs away from the doctor. It's still totally worth it!

1..2..3..Painter Team said...

You poor thing-I have heard strep is horrible & pneumonia-WOW! I have a annoying cough right now &I was a little bitter because I DID get the flu shot-but now I am grateful. I am glad you are better

Jessica @ Paint In My Hair said...

I'm so sorry you got sick--during the holidays too! At thanksgiving dinner someone in the family brought strep throat and 6 of us got it! My husband had it bad, I just sorta had it. I got lucky. I hope you're feeling better now. Merry Christmas!