August 12, 2008

Provo River Half Marathon

Man, I'm thinking I might need to go in search of some new friends, you know, ones who aren't so "hazardous" to my health! First Melissa and Amberlie talk me into buying a road bike and after four weeks of riding, get me to do an 80 mile bike race in Logan with them, which was soooooo fun by the way! Then, my "crr-aaa-zy" friend Kari, talks me into running the Provo River Half Marathon with her. What was I thinking when I told her I would do it? I am not a runner, I'm not, I can't run, it hurts too bad, I'm weak, I'm wimpy, I'm frail, and now, I'm in trouble!

Well, the first day we started running I think I ran passed 12 houses before I had to stop and walk! It was then, that I told her that there is noooo way I could run a half marathon in 3.5 weeks! Ya that's right, I started training three and a half weeks before the marathon. But, Kari is a hard core, running nazi and she did not take "I can't do it" for an answer. In fact, I got a little Nike pep talk, OK fine, I got a lot of Nike pep talks from her, but the one I remember most, was the one that took "I can't" from my vocabulary, and replaced it with UGH! Eventually my little nazi, had me running 1 mile without stopping to walk, then 2 miles, then 3, then 4.5. She signed us up for a 5k, which was really fun and I did it in 34 minutes and 54 seconds! Ya, I know it's slow but I just started running, GEEZ! We also did three 10 mile runs over the three and a half weeks of training and when we finished those runs, I pounded down a protein drink while Kari pounded down 64 ounces of diet coke?! Who can do that? I told you she's crr-aaa-zy!
Well, the big day arrived and she wouldn't leave my driveway until I got in her car, so I guess I really wasn't going to waste my $40 registration fee after all! We got to the river woods at 4:45 am and boarded the bus. I swear I didn't think that driver was EVER going to stop!! The whole time I was on the bus, I was willing him to stop that dang bus, didn't he know I had to run all the way back! At one point, I asked the girl next to me if she thought he went to far cuz it sure seemed like we had been on that bus for a long time. She just laughed and I was puzzled by her humor!
We finally arrived at the starting line. Unfortunately, they were not allowing cars up the canyon, so there was no point in calling Burty to come and get me, I was officially committed! Before I knew it, there was a bang-bang, and 1700+ people started running and pushing as if they were being chased by a pack of bears. Do bears travel in packs? Anyway, I was amazed that so many Grannies were passing me! Oh well, they've probably been runners their whole lives, right?! Before long, Kari and Linda were out of my eye sight and I was officially running alone. Hallelujah for ipod's! And hallelujah for Burty! He is so awesome and so supportive of everything I do! Even though he did tell me that he didn't think I would be able to do it! What can I say, he knows I'm a wimp too! He drove up the canyon on his motorcycle and hung out at different mile markers snapping pictures, taking video and cheering me on, he is my biggest fan and I love him so much!
I started getting bored during the run, so I played this little game and I would set my sights on someone to pass. Sometimes I passed and sometimes I just continued to eat their dust but it kept me preoccupied until mile 10.5. That's when I started getting tired and that's when I started listening to Avril Lavigne over and over. She sat in my ear telling me to "Keep Holding On". I envisioned that she was really the finish line talking to me. It worked for awhile, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Justin Timberlake, thank you, thank you, thank you! The last mile was SOOOO unbelievably hard and I couldn't have done it without you telling me to "Bring My Sexy Back"!
When I finally came around the last bend and was on the final path to the finish line, Kari and Linda were standing there cheering me on and my eyes filled up with tears and I got this HUGE lump in my throat. They ran in with me, gave me words of encouragement, and did not let me stop! I said "UGH" so many times the last mile I thought I was going to dream about the word! I crossed the finish line at 2 hours and 36 minutes but I thought it said 2 hours and 32 minutes, so I was a little bummed when I found out my real time. Oh well, the point is I FINISHED!!! WOO-HOO! I started crying when I saw Burt, I was just so overcome with emotion! I couldn't believe what an emotional experience it was for me. Maybe because I didn't really think I could ever do it, I don't know, but it was an amazing accomplishment and I am so proud of myself for doing something I had only dreamed of. Thank you Kari for helping me turn my dream into reality! Thank you Aimee and Judi for getting up so early and coming to the finish line to cheer us on! Thank you Burty for getting up every morning at 5:30 with Brynlee so I could train, love you so muuuuch! Finally, congratulations to my girls! Kari aka "the roadrunner" finished in 1 hour and 57 minutes, my sister in law Misty finished in 2 hours and 2 minutes and Linda finished in 2 hours and 16 minutes! You ladies rock, I hope I can be as fast as you are one day! And what's up with the posting results? They added a minute to every one's time...

3 comments:

klkw said...

Um...it's official...WE ROCK!!!! :)

Tawna said...

Looks like fun! You and Burt both have such skinny faces! Whats up? What are you guys doing?!? Let me in on that little secret!
Congrats on your run, I know that is something you have wanted to do for a long time!

1..2..3..Painter Team said...

You are impressive & Burt too that he took the babe so you could train. Oh & I heard "Grinnee Brynee" & that was funny!