August 26, 2008

INVASION

I was outside taking some video of Kambree and Brynlee and decided to run back in the house to get my still camera. That is when we were attacked...well, almost attacked!! As I approached my front door with my two helpless children in my arms, a Katydid AND a Praying Mantis were on my door, "preying" upon us! Naturally, I screamed, which caused Kambree to scream, and we turned around and ran! I stood in my front yard wondering how in the world we were going to get back into the house since all the other doors and windows were locked. Apparently Burt did not see the situation as life threatening the way I did, and he told me to call 911. I can't believe he wouldn't leave work to come and rescue, I mean help, me, I mean us! Are you a bad mom if, for one split second, you consider using your 2 year old and 6 month old children as human shields to protect yourself while you charge the door? Since I decided it probably wasn't a good idea to use my children as a weapon, I considered throwing rocks at the door to scare them away, but figured I'd break a window instead. I thought about shooing them away with a broom, but oh wait, it was safe inside the house! I also wondered if they were afraid of cats and considered hissing at them, but well, lets face it, I would have felt ridiculous and besides, what would the neighbors think!? As I stared at the door, wondering what I should do, I noticed that they were starting to make their move. They were moving towards my door handle and their wings and antennas were rustling about.It was time for me to take action! So I did what any 36 year old woman would do...I grabbed the hose and started spraying the door with water. Well, a surge of adrenalin mixed with fear must have come over me, because I suddenly started SCREAMING! Yes, I was screaming! I felt like the little critters were crawling on me! What made this whole scene even funnier, was Kambree jumping up and down next to me screaming, "the bee get you, the bee get you"! Where was Brynlee during all of this you ask? In my arms belting out her famous "siren" cry! And I wondered what the neighbors would think if I stood out there hissing like a cat.... Can you believe those stupid creatures DID NOT fly away! They just dropped to the ground and crawled towards me! Luckily I still had the hose, so I sprayed them into the corner and then screamed like a girl as I ran past them into the house! A few minutes later, my dear friend Laurel drove by and asked if everything was OK and did I need any help? Apparently she thought I had fainted in my doorway...

Just one more reason why Heavenly Father didn't make me a pioneer!

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Hey, those things were huge!! They were like the anaconda in my front yard. Good thing they didn't eat you or your kids. Jake called Bob and told him we had to "save" you from the big bugs. So funny.

AnnaBanana said...

Canesa! This is classic, why does it remind me of the one about the squirrel in Florida! You're hillarious!!